Low-rise Vegas by the sea. Sharm.

Sharm El Sheikh Travel Blog

Hello All,
The Crowne Plaza in Sharm El-Sheikh is very nice, but as it turns out the hotel is quite a distance from town.  There is an intermitent hotel shuttle that is very cheap, and I did manage to take that into town last night.  Sharm El-Sheikh is a package tour haven for the European set.  There is legalized gambling, plenty of clubs, and all the blather that comes with a million tourists.  It is gaudy, crowded, and awful for the most part, but the are certainly some wonderful natural attractions in the area.

I spent most of today trying to figure out how I was going to get to Cairo to see the pyramids.  After checking my options and prices from all of the local travel shops, I decided to check online to see what the rental car situation looked like.  Cairo is about 500kms away, but a drive never scared me so what the heck.  I found a great deal online through a company I have rented with before, and booked it for tomorrow (Thursday).

I spent the rest of the day with a catnap in the room, and another trip into town for some food.  I brought the laptop, and found a wi-fi spot in a place with live Arab/Beduoin music that served juices and smoothies and chilled there for a few hours.  Then I got a second floor spot at a chinese restaurant to get the eagle-eye view for people watching.

I crashed out by 1am in anticipation of my long drive in the morning.

Later, Phil