Santiago to Buenos Aires

Santiago Travel Blog

Winding up the Andes
Like I had mentioned before, me and Sara were studying abroad in Chile but were feeling the need to get out and get around.  Bus tickets to Buenos Aires were going for $100 round trip (little did we know we know flights were on sale at this same time for about $120... o silly little gringas) so we checked out our guide books which bus lines were most reliable.  We settled for El Rapido figuring if its name held true we would get there in under 24 hours.  We boarded the bus and were heading for the boarder which was surprisingly close.  I never realized that the only thing separating Chile and Argentina was the Andes and the boarder was literally in the middle.  But that meant to get to the boarder... we had to cross them... in bus.

I'm not gonna lie I was scared as hell!  We had to go up this winding road that wove up the side of one of the moutains in a 40 foot bus.
In the Andes
  Not exactly what I would call easy.  But we made it and I was able to get awesome pics of the Andes while I was right in them.  I don't remember exactly but I have this feeling Sara was freaking out... yea sounds about right :) We finally made it to the top where we had to cross the boarder and pass through customs.  It was relatively painless.  We had to send our bags through an X-ray and get our passports stamped.  I was excited because this was my first trip outside of Chile since arriving which meant it was my second south american passport stamp (Whoooo hooo for collecting passport stamps!!!).  We bought some subs from a nearby stand and got back on the bus and headed for Mendoza. We were to catch a different bus there that would take us to Buenos Aires.
Ou Bus

Once we got to Mendoza we saw we had about two hours to fool around in the bus station.  So what do we do you ask?  Take advantage of the fact that we were in South America and found the nearest restaurant to endulge in cheap but tasty wine of course!  It was quite fun getting tipsy in the train station, but the time rolled around where we needed to catch our bus.  We went back over to where the bus was supposed to be... but it was no where to be found.  We weren't sure if we were in the wrong place or not so we went and asked the women at the info desk for our company.  We asked her where the 7 o'clock bus left from.  She said it left from where we were... but at 7 o'clock.  We were a bit confused.  How could it have left at 7 o'clock if it was 6:55????  Then we had an epiphany virtually at the same time.
Tipsy at the bus station
  Mendoza was one hour ahead of Santiago and it was really 7:55... oh shit.  After having a mini freak out session and worrying about getting stuck in Mendoza for the night, the women told us that they could send out another bus if we needed it.

So they did... and we were definately the only ones on a bus that could hold at least 70 people.  It was pretty cool. We were living like queens... despite the 20 hour ride ahead of us.  We actaully were able to sleep most of the way thanks to my tylenol simply sleep pills and when we woke we were just a few hours away from the city.  The Argentine route to Buenos Aires wasn't nearly as scenic as the Chilean side.  It was pretty flat and boring.  I kind of had a feeling like I was in Texas or something.  But eventaully we arrived in Buenos Aires and the festivities were to begin...
Still a little tipsy on the bus