Day 3: Almost there

Machu Picchu Travel Blog

My little lizard friend
Day 3 was more relaxing than day 2 but much longer.  We covered about 7 miles and left very early in the morning.  Although it was long, there were many breath-taking views.  The walk was much more flat and was passed along the side of the moutain, enabling us to get spectacular views of the surrounding moutains and the clouds that surrounded them.  We were able to see how really high and isolated we were.  I haven't been on a more peaceful and calming walk.

We stopped for another fantastic lunch and had to chance to wash up a bit.  We had a little moment of cultural exchange as well. There was a group of American guys who had a small nerf football with them.  Of course the porters had heard of American football and wanted to throw it around a bit.
the beauty surrounding us
  So we all got together to toss around the football and see who could make the best catch.  During our game the Aussie found a tiny little lizard.  Due to my love for all animals I made friends quikly.  Unfortunately I couldn't take it with me so I had to let me littlw friend go.

After lunch we began another long descent down more steps.  I was more prepared this time and didn't freak out so much.  I was still way behind everyone else though but this time two girls on the trip waited for me which I found very nice as they could have easily went ahead.  After a long long trek down we finally made it to the camp site.  This site was the largest before and there were actually hot showers!!  But we had to pay for them and wait in a very long line.  It was well worth it though being that it was the first shower I had in three days and I could finally wash my hair.  We had the best dinner of the trip and also had access to a small bar.  I can say I had my first tequila shot in the depths of Peru thanks to some nice fellows in my group from New York.  I wasn't trying to get too tipsy though because we still had a long day ahead of us tomorrow.  Machu Picchu was finally literally around the bend.
climbing down