Day 3: Hot springs and sheep heards

Chile/Bolivian Boarder Travel Blog

hot springs
On the final day we woke up at about 5am and set off for the last leg of the trip.  It was FREEZING!!!  My hands and feet were like ice blocks and Juan reported it to be about 2 degrees fahrenheit.  We stopped at two natural geysers.  I was brave enough to get out to see the first one but after that I decided to stay in and try to keep warm.  After visiting the geysers we set off for a place where we could bathe in natural hot springs.  Unfortunately it was too cold for me to consider getting undressed to get in but I was told once in it was great, though getting out was a challenge too.  We had breakfast there and then were off to the boarder between Chile and Bolivia.  On the way, we stopped at this amazingly beautiful lake called La Laguna Verde. It was incredible.
la laguna verde
  Again though, it was extrememly cold and windy so we only stayed for a bit but it was worth the goosebumps.  My boyfriend and I decided to stop at the boarder instead of taking the trip up back to Uyuni, since we were pretty close to where we need to catch our plane in Calama, Chile two days later.  After saying goodbye to our fellow tour members we took a bus that took us to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile were we slowly but surely passed through customs.  San Pedro was an ok town if you're interested into over priced touristy locations.  We found a cute inexpensive hostel though and stayed the night before going to Calama to catch our plane back to Santiago.
sheep in san pedro
  We had dinner in a nice restaurant who charged waay too much for drinks but had pretty good food.  We walked around the town a bit (away from the touristy center) to see what it was really like.  My boyfriend noticed something interesting.  The streets in the touristly center of the town were completely made of dirt.  But as soon as you stepped out of that area you encountered perfectly paved roads.  Oh what people do to attract tourists.  Whatever works I guess.  On our way back we were cut off by a giant heard of sheep who just happened to be passing through the very center of San Pedro.  My boyfriend was pretty sure this was another tactic to make the town seem more "Latin American."  We planned to go out that night but a bit turned off by the overwhelming amount of German and American tourists we crashed back at the hostel instead.  And then it was back to Santiago.
Chile/Bolivian Boarder