Day 2: Pretty rocks and pink flamingos

Bolivian Altiplano Travel Blog

Ricardo and I with the flamingos
After a nice breakfast, we left the village (about 4 families live there) and set off for the next stop points on our journey.  We pasted by beautiful dessert scenery and stopped for various photo opps.  There were two special highlights though that made this day probably my favorite.  First was a beautiful lake was stopped by.  It was full of flamingos!  When we first booked the tour I was worried because it was winter in Bolivia so I thought maybe the flamingos migrated or something and wouldn't be there.  But I was wonderfully suprised to see them there basking in the sun.  We got to get really close and although they are beautiful birds... they are a bit akward.  Because of their long legs when they go to run to fly they kind of stumble along until they get enough speed but once in the air, return to the graceful beings they are.
la piedra del arbol (the rock tree)
  Landings are a bit wierd too.  As we were leaving the lake I was suprised/scared as hell to see a small coyote running really really quicking.  Then I realized that our tour guide, Juan, brings a piece of steak for them (there was another that came a little later) everytime he comes.  After the visit with the Flamingos we set of for another bumby ride to the next lake which was equally (I'm not sure but maybe more) beautiful than the one we just visited and also dotted with flamingos.  We were able to take more flamingo pics and have lunch before we set of for the rock dessert.  The rock dessert was exactly that.  A dessert full of oddly shaped rocks.  Because the wind is so intense in dessert, overtime it shapes the rocks in really cool formations.
La Laguna Colorada
  There was la piedra del arbol (rock tree) and my boyfriend and I found another one that resembled a mushroom.  Pretty neat.  After seeing all the oddly shaped rocks possible we set off for the Laguna Colorada.  This is where we would stay for the night.  On the way we ran into a pack of llamas.  I think we disturbed them driving through the neighborhood like that.  We also passed come vicunas on the way.  Once we got there we were greated by a baby vicuna who tried to eat my coat and despite its extreme cuteness kind of freaked me out (yes I should be ashamed).  We had dinner and before going to bed my boyfriend and I had a chance (very quick one) to look out at the night sky and see the tremendous amount of shining stars in the sky.  I wish my camera was good enough to capture its beauty.  I only stayed out a moment because it was waaaay to cold for me but the mild hypothermia I may have got was so worth it.
flamingos!