Viking Cruise Line Part 1

Stockholm Travel Blog

I can’t believe I forgot to write about the viking line cruise during the winter holidays. I’m not sure what happened, perhaps it was my brain shutting out those 24 hours of Viking Line Goodness but anyways…the story picks up from the post about New Years in Stockholm - “we decided to go back into debaser and finish bringing in the new year….”

….Nothing says a good night like waking up 25 minutes outside of Stockholm. 3 inches of snow. 11 am. Cold. Hung over. Trudging through the forest on a lightly paved path. Morning sun shining obnoxiously into your hung-over dilated pupils, while ambient daylight reflects off the snow and back into your eyes leaving no refuge for peace.

The first goal was the “intersection with the bus stop back to Alvik” however arriving at the intersection we found not one, not two, but 8 bus stops lining each side of each road of the intersection. Luck or pity from above led us to only having to stop at two bus stops until we found the one going to Alvik.

From the bus, to the tunnelbana (metro), to my apt, straight to bed. We slept from 12 noon until 3pm…waking up to pack our bags and make our way to the Viking Cruise Line (aka the Party Line) for a 24 hour jaunt from Stockholm to Marieham Finland to Stockholm.

A month prior, my coworkers, after a few beers, opened up about the Viking Cruise Line legacy and desperately urged me to experience it. In retrospect, January 1st was probably not the best day to go on the cruise but that was the only day in our schedule that worked. The boat wasn’t as crowded and the people weren’t that crazy as I had heard but nothing kicks off the right atmosphere of a party cruise ship like 56 SEK “ol and Jager” ($7.50 beer and Jager shot) compared to the 49 SEK beer back in Stockholm as well as the $30 all you can eat and all you can drink beer and wine buffet or the duty free shop to buy liquor, cases of beer, or wine that you scoff down in the cabin.

My friends and I, of course, (deep breath). Started the night at the bar drinking beer/shot specials, then migrated to the buffet for food and lots of wine, navigated to the duty free shop, bought a $8 liter of white wine and 4 red bulls, finished the wine and red bulls in the cabin, ventured back out to the casino to gamble, then to the bar to listen to a guy sing Stephen Lynch, then to the night club for more beers. (exhale)

The highlights/lowlights of the night will be posted tomorrow. Our project goes live in 6 hrs and 17 minutes. I need to get some sleep.

photo by: Chokk