Crossing Small Barge

Bentota Travel Blog

Everyone come and pull!

I work for road construction project in Sri Lanka, when I need to go to another side of the river. I need to cross a small river near Bentota (Actually, the river name is of course Bentota river). This is the first time in which I use this barge to cross. I use barge before but it is much bigger than this. Our truck is turned in to small alley which I was assured that this is the entrance of the barge port.

At first, I did not think much of it because I thought it would be similar to barge that I used in other country which is much bigger with motor and winch. The first scene of the barge I saw was small as it is happen to be on the other side of the river and we sit and wait in the car for it to come to this side. We drove into the barge and still, I did not think anything out of

However, I suddenly notice that everyone in our car was getting off from the barge. I, too get off thinking maybe everyone just wants to have some fresh air. Then I realized that this barge is so small that there is no winch and to cross the operator need to pull the rope and slowly get the barge across.

So, the clients, like us, who want to cross the river fast, had to help him pull the rope. Of course, I have to help him too but after taking these photos for you all to see. I found it quite interesting that normally we use truck to move from one place to the next but this time we must use man power to move the truck.

First arrived