How to backpack on a budget

United States Travel Blog

In 2006 I backpacked around 13 countries with very little money. Despite being poor I had an amazing time and still did lots of incredible things. First off, I got a ticket with preset destinations that I chose (LA, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, India, London, NYC) but open-ended dates as long as it was within a year. I got this ticket for under $2400 USD after all taxes from a place called Airbrokers (www.airbrokers.com). It was by far the cheapest I found after a long time of research. While traveling, I had to make some sacrifices to be able to afford it and wasn't always in my comfort zone but that is what made it so rich and full. The entire 10 month trip, ticket included, cost me around $10,000 dollars. To pay for this I saved up, sold my car (life experience is more important and material possessions), and used a credit card (be careful with this) for major expenses, such as scuba diving and bus tickets. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I would and will do it again and again. Living 10 months at home in the USA I probably spend more than 10 grand anyways. This blog will tell about my trip, what I did, and how I did it cheaply and hopefully help you to do something like this one day soon.
erinoleary says:
Thanks for the airfare advice!
Posted on: Feb 20, 2009
Krissy517 says:
WOW... you lived my dream, someday I will too! Your photos amazed me, great job!
Posted on: Jan 24, 2008
Aquedita says:
All I can say is: WOW! Damn, Im sooooo jealous :)
Posted on: Jan 14, 2008