Pangkor, Malaysia

Pangkor Travel Blog

 › entry 6 of 6 › view all entries
The Lord works in mysterious ways as the saying goes and my last few days has certainly proved that to be truthfull.
Since I couldn't get to Taman Negara because of the floods there (monsun season is really kicking in and I've been advised to stay on the westcoast) I opted to go to Kota Bahru in the north east part of the country. I got up very early in Georgetown, to get to the busstation only to find that the Kota Bahru bus at 9.00 a.m. was full, I could get on the 9.00 p.m. if I wanted, but 12 hours at the busterminal didn't sound like an option to me. Instead I took a brisk decission and decided to skip Kota Bahru and instead go back down south. There was a bus to Ipoh, that could connect me to the very small town of Lumut, which has a ferry to lovely and laidback Pangkor island. However things didn't turn out to be all that easy. I got my ticket for a 9.30 bus to Ipoh, which was perfect and I was told by the man in the booth that this bus would depart from platform 9 or 10. Easy right? I was at platform 9/10 at 9.15 ready to board the bus and I asked a few people if this bus was bound for Ipoh? everybody agreed and it was the only "Transnasional" bus in the whole station. I got on the comfortable bus anxious to go and at 9.29 we left the station, after the driver had checked our  tickets.  About 5 hours later I arrived.... In Kuala Lumpur! - this was wrong.. I knew it as soon as I saw the Petronas Towers from the freeway (they are a dead giveaway) I had gotten in the wrong bus, and when i asked the driver he said - ohh well this is the 9.00 a.m. bus to KL (excatly 30 minutes late) though the driver assured me that we had departed on time form Georgetown (In Malaysia "on time" apparently means within the same hour). Beeing in KL unintendedly, didn't cause much panic to me though and I was very Lucky that the "Transnational" had a dicert bus to Lumut from KL, which would depart about 45 minutes after my arrival, I asked the woman if I would be able to make the ferry across to Pangkor the same evening, which she assured me wouldn't be a problem.. It turned out to be though. This bus left on time but only drove about 15 minutes before we stopped at another station to pick up more passengers here we sat around for about an hour before we finally got on our way. It was pitchblack when we arrived in Lumut around 9 pm. And of course the last ferry had sailed off 30 mins earlier.
I was so tired having travelled for about 12 hours that I needed a bed which I found at the DJ hotel, which turned out to be much more quiet and comfortable that its name would anticipate. After a quick Tandori Chicken bit I went straight to bed and got up the next morning in time to make the 8.30 morning ferry  to Pangkor, where I now reside at one of the islands many backpacker hangouts - doing absolutly nothing and feeling fine about it. It is all water, beach and palmtrees here leaving room for a lot of spiritual revitalizing. In a few days I'll pick up Luise in Singapore and a new adenture begins - Stay tuned...
adrianaaaron says:
How was Pangkor Island so far?
Posted on: Feb 18, 2013
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: herman_munster