San Jose to Cahuita

Cahuita Travel Blog

I awoke nice and early after a great night sleep and went down to a hearty breakfast of fresh pineapple, papaya ,watermelon and fresh danishes(hmmm).Everyone is really friendly and I can not wait to start exploring Costa Rica. My driver collected me bang on time and we were on our way, we collected another 2 people on the way and it was off to Cahuita. On the way we stopped off to grab a bite to eat nice curried potatoes and rice with fried plantation, I could get used to this!!! Then back on the bus for the final leg of the journey, the bus is really great and comfortable and the driver is very nice and friendly. All in all we made it to Cahuita in around 4 hours which just flew by. I arrived at Atlantida lodge and was greeted by friendly happy staff and even the manager came by to welcome me.
The lodge is beautifully situated amidst the forests and the rooms are clean and bright. I dropped my bags and went to see what I could do this afternoon. I decided to walk to the national park and take a look around rather than join a tour which is always an option(around 15$).I started walking to the park and met a lovely dutch couple who accompanied me on the way, all in all it is about a 10-20minute walk from the lodge. There is no entrance fee but they ask if you could make a donation to help with the conservation. I walked and walked for ages it is a beautiful setting with the beach right next to the park, it is quite difficult to spot animals though as your eyes are not trained for it, luckily I met two guides who pointed some monkeys and sloth’s to me. I would recommend taking a guide even though it can be quite pricey
Then back to the hotel as it is baking hot a quick change and into the pool for a well deserved cocktail. I decided to go and have an early dinner at this little restaurant on the beach that I had passed and wow amazing fresh prawns covered in garlic and lemon with a nice glass of vino for 20 dollars.
photo by: Stigen