Antigua – Trip to Chichicastenango

Antigua Travel Blog

I woke up extra early this morning to head down to the bagel barn for breakfast, before being picked up at 7am to go to Chichi. I was joined by 3 really nice girls but I had a splitting headache so ended up falling asleep and waking up for our coffee stop and then fast asleep again until arriving in Chichi. It is a crazy spot with hundreds/ thousands of people swarming the streets, it is really beautiful to see all the colorfully dressed people. We were very lucky as there was a Mayan festival today so every few minutes there was fireworks going off. The market is pretty impressive but you really have to bargain hard, I think I did well (I am happy) and have bought quite a bit. We then hired a guide to show us around the St Thomas church and then up the hill to see the shrine to Pascual Abaj which was quite amazing and very informative.
Then we headed for some lunch and back to the meeting point, we had to wait a little while until our bus was ready to go and I am so glad that we did as the progression for the festival passed straight by us and it was great to see people playing the music, dancing and letting off the fireworks.
Then it was back to Antigua, we got stuck in a traffic jam for 1 ½ hours so we only got back at around 6pm, headed back to the hotel to see if my washing was there and surprise surprise it was not so I had to go and change my bus time for tomorrow otherwise no clothes. Anyway it turns out that it was not a problem and it is actually better for me as I have a little more time to see some more of Antigua and a bit of a lie in  in the morning.
Antigua