Acehnese coffee

Indonesia Travel Blog

Gosh, I love coffee. I don’t think I can live without it (ok, am exaggerating).

That is why, when a good friend of mine invited me to the land of fine coffee, Aceh-Indonesia, I said hey ho let’s go. (Note to Travbuddy: Aceh is in Indonesia, not in Malaysia as written in the set up validate location. Would be very much appreciated if travbuddy  do some corrections, thankyou)

The second day after the arrival, I went to the recommended café (a building with no door, no air-con, plastic chairs, simple wooden tables, no paintings, with open traditional kitchen (or bar?) in the middle. Starbucks kinda like? No way. It’s homier). It was in Jasa Ayah coffee shop in ulekareng street, Banda Aceh, Indonesia.

One of the employee, I granted him as the ‘PR’ man, brought me to the factory. When he said factory I imagined factory. In contrast, I was brought to a house nearby the café which is the owner’s and he lead me to a simple corner behind the house. It was a simple building with 2 storages room on the left and right while the middle is slightly an open space. I saw two old machines working.

So yeah, I was there witnessing how they manually turned the ready to processed coffee bean in to roasted seeds.

As far as I could remember, below are the steps:

1.    They called suppliers to give them the ready to processed coffee bean (the suppliers picked only  fine qualities beans, get them fermented, washed and cleaned from residues that produced by coffee berries)

2.    The proper beans goes to an old traditional machine runs by electricity that required power of the hands to rolled and swirled them up

3.    They add butter and sugar to add tasty sensation on the roasting beans1

4.    3 hours processing

When it’s brown enough like a perfect natural suntan of an indigenous Asian woman, they poured the beans out to be dried off2

6.    The beans need to be under the sun for few hours before the ground processing shall be begin (which I missed to see and worst, forget the answers of my question about would it be done manually or by another old traditional machine - I think that is why I didn’t ended up choosing journalist as my favorite profession:).

While compiling the steps above, I was companied by interesting conversations with the owner himself and his few employees. Hot coffees, fried bananas, jokes, and Acehness language short course (haha) also contributed a lot to this great event.

Then the PR man brought me back to the café. How to brew the coffee is my next show to attend.

The so-called bar, is an open space set in the middle of the café.

The barista leads the act from behind the table. A barista was chosen for the skill to brew the coffee by boiling, prepared orders: with milk or not with milk (means with sugar, and that he has to memorize the exact orders), and then to pour the hot boiled brewed coffee, in speed. Jeez, what a multitasking jobs. As for that, he surely needs a good control of the hands, body, minds and (I assumed) a good sense of humor. (as he jokes all the time with others while he keeps his eye on the jobs). Claps.

A glass of hot coffee milk served to me.  I sip  s  l   o     w      l          y

It is strong tasty coffee. Its milk makes a suit blend.

O m  y  g  o  s  h

1 http://en.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee, “ During roasting, aromatic oils, acids, and caffeine weaken, changing the flavor; at 205 °C (400 °F), other oils start to develop. One of these oils is caffeol, created at about 200 °C (392 °F), which is largely responsible for coffee's aroma and flavor”.

2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee, “ During roasting, caramelization occurs as intense heat breaks down starches in the bean, changing them to simple sugars that begin to brown, changing the color of the bean”.

rintjez says:
Hi hi!! Tell me about it!! This is also the best coffee I've ever had in my life!!!
Posted on: Dec 05, 2007