Warning: contains drug and sexual references

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Rhiannon and Dani at the canals

My journey began on a train from Brussels to Amsterdam with Dani and Rhiannon, two friends from brussels. The train ride was a short (by australian standards) 3 hr journey. we found ourselves amounst a huge crowd of tourists all as baffled as ourselves wandering aimlessly causing all kinds of traffic hazards. After finding our hostel, which was a bit of a hassel because someonse forgot to take the name, address or directions of the hostel (I wont name names, he, he, he), we ventued into the centre of Amsterdam. Two minutes into the journey Dani nearly got killed by a bike rider and that was our first of many near misses. There is about 600,000 bikes in Amsterdam and I am sure we had near collisions with about half of those.

At the Dam
We wandered around looking at all the amazing sights "coffee shops" that don't sell coffee and are found on every corner, beautiful canals, flower markets, and x-rated shops also found on every corner.

We then rented a canal bike, which was like a peddle boat, I found this experience slightly terrifying as some canals were very narrow and large canal boats would blare their horns at you if you didnt get out of their way quick enough. It didn't help that I had an issue with steering the thing and ended up going the wrong way everythime a boat came in my direction. I happily gave up the job of steering and focused on paddling and map reading. The canals were beautiful and while we weren't being run over by boats or crashing into the canal walls we could enjoy the variety of interesting buildings along the water front.

dani on the canal bike
 After a while I was able to resume my steering postion and with a much greater sucess rate.

After the water experience we visited the Anne Frankhuis, I had just read the book so it was fascinating to see the house which had been left very much as it had been during the war minus all the furntiture which was all taken. There was still the growth chart penciled on the wall, and even Anne's picures of the royal families. It was a very interesting but sad place to visit.

that night we went out with Maya, an American girl we met at our hostel. We got hopelessly lost walking to the centre and didnt end up find a place to eat until 11.00 pm but of course being Europe it is no problem to eat that late. Then we wondered down to the Red Light District, which was very amusing, we were only a handful of females (not working that is) in a crowd of hundreds of  males.

The next day we wandered around Amsterdam with Maya and TC (Maya's brother) we visited a maket, a coffee shop, when you ask for a "menu" it is very interesting to see what you get, saw giant chess games, looked in a few vintage clothing shops, saw red light district during the day (all curtains drawn), walked around shops and then dragged our weary bodies onto the train for Brussels

travelman727 says:
I've heard about the canal traffic from others. Congratulations for surviving Amsterdam!
Posted on: Jun 20, 2006
pretty buildings
pretty buildings
anne Frankhuis
anne Frankhuis
Red light district- well not reall…
Red light district- well not real…
Dani, Rhiannon, Me and Maya