Day 3 - Leaving Brussels/Heidelberg

Heidelberg Travel Blog

Heidelberg Cathdedral

We left Brussels quite early on the Monday morning, after seeing a little more of the city, like the Mannekin Pis and the Markt Plaz, and just  having a general wander about it.  It was nice to see it in daylight though, rather than being lost and quite disorientated in the dark.  I loved seeing Haagen Daz and Godiva shops everywhere! And of course, purchasing some chocolate which my friends had all requested. I couldn't not have bought some though. The chocolate there really is amazing.  Oooh and I had waffles! Again with the traditional Belgian-ness, and it was in this covered shopping street that reminded me so much of the ones in Paris - which currently I completely cannot remember the name of It was really lovely though! Upon leaving Brussels, we drove to Heidelberg, a new experience for me because I had never been to Germany at all, despite half of my immediate family living there and all that, so that was one of the nicest experiences of the trip.

Heidelberg rathaus

We stopped for lunch in Aachen, well, on the outskirts of it, having a proper German lunch of bratwurst and kartofellelsalat.  I actually ordered it, in German, making the best of my German skills (or lack thereof, haha)  I would have made my old German teacher proud!  I was amazed I actually remembered something more than the lyrics to 'Ich bin Schnappi, das kleine krokodil', oh and the infamous and classic 'Gehen in die discoteque?"

We arrived in Heidelberg, which is in the south westish of Germany, in the afternoon.  It's quite lovely, it's an old university city with this amazing old ruined castle behind it.  The university's quite famous, I think it might be the oldest in Germany? and Schumann and Somerset Maughn studied there!  We had kaffee und kuchen there (again ordered with my "wonderful" German skills), and had a little look around it, seeing the usual touristy places and the not so - hello h&m! - but not actually going up to the castle, sadly.

Heidelberg Schloss
  Again, as with Brussels, I'd have liked more time to have explored the city properly and seen more of the historic sites.

That night, we drove to a village, somewhere near the Black Forest (could I be anymore vague, really) to stay for the night, in a little gasthaus called Zum Engel, having goulash and nudeln for dinner with everyone, which was an experience, but a good one, I like eating traditional food.  The people who we had dinner with that night were lovely too, which made dinner great, they were from Virginia and really really interested in hearing about Scotland :)  I love speaking to people from other countries though, it's always really interesting hearing about their different way of life, and how different America is to Europe.  We had a lovely Gone with the Wind talk as well, because they were from the South and thats where Gone with the Wind is set, and it's my favourite ever book and film, and they all loved it too!

We had drinks and then retired to bed, watching the most random tv program which was vaguely like a German version of Jerry Springer in which they seemed to call each other sluts an awful lot, really really quite strange.

Heidelberg