is it Bisaya, Visayan, or Cebuano? hmm...

Cebu Travel Blog

I'd been under the impression that "V" and "B" were allophones (and interchangeable) in the Philippines and I understood that to be the reason for the two different spellings for the local language.  But I've now learned that native speakers of Visayan languages, especially Cebuano, Hiligaynon, and Waray-Waray not only refer to their language by their local name, but also by "Bisaya" or "Binisaya," meaning Visayan language.  Both "Bisaya" and "Binisaya" are translated as "Visayan" in English and "Bisaya" in Tagalog.  Therefore, the most proper words for me (as an English speaker) to call the language "Visayan" or (to be more specific) "Cebuano".  I'm so glad it's finally clear to me now and just had to share it. ;-)
ctjevans says:
sadly, nope Hanie, I can only claim to speak English. I learned a few words and short phrases in Cebuano during the six months I was over there, but no Tagalog. when I get back there next time, I'll resolve to learning the language (Cebuano at least) fluently.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2008
darlingwish says:
u speak filipino? ^^
Posted on: Jan 31, 2008
ctjevans says:
thanks, Apo, good point! for example in the use of "P" in the nation's name "Philippines," yet in identifying that country's nationals, "Filipino" begins with "F." :-)
Posted on: Jan 08, 2008