Scotland Travel Blog› entry 32 of 38 › view all entries
The oldest part of the castle is a rectangular tower house which was built in the 15th century. Michael Fraser kept this building and added two new towers on diagonally opposite corners, forming the distinctive z-plan shape. The tower on the north-west corner is square while the tower on the south-east corner is round and slightly taller than the rest of the castle. It has a flat roof which can be accessed by visitors giving good views of the surrounding countryside. Finally the east and west wings, or ‘laigh biggins’, containing the kitchen, bakehouse, brewhouse and servants quarters were added.
The castle was home to three different families during its history, two branches of the Fraser family and finally the Cowdray family who carried out a restoration of the castle after they bought it in 1921.
Off A944, 4m N of Dunecht and 16m W of Aberdeen.
- There is a car park.
- Disabled parking is available near the castle entrance.
- Entrance hall and tearoom only. All garden accessible.
- There are toilets.
- There is a shop.
- There is a tea room.
- Suitable for picnics.
- No dogs.
- No guided tours.
- No audio guides.