the nation's capital...

Washington Travel Blog

The Capitol Building

Here I am in DC & I'm absolutely loving it - one of my favourite places so far. The city is not too big & easy to get around & there aren't hundreds of tall buildings & the subway stations are clean and not smelly saunas... Plus there are hundreds of museums, covering everything from art to space to stamps to spies... and basically everything has free entry - it's a budget traveller's dream!

I'm staying with Ramsey, which as always is cool to be staying with a friend rather than in an anonymous hostel. Ramsey & I have hung out a little - we did some shopping, although she had all the luck & now I just having the shopping/spending bug! Monday I wandered through the National Mall & familiarised myself with the place - walked up to the Capitol building, down to the Washington Monument & across the the White House.

The Washington Monument
The weather was gorgeous & sunny, so it was great for walking around.

Tuesday I went to the Holocaust Museum, which was truly horrifying & sad & amazing & kind of overwhelming. Then I went up the Washington Monument to see the city from above, and finished the day with a quick whip around the Natural History Museum (fossils, skeletons, animals... not really my thing, but hey, it's free!  They do have the Hope Diamond... which really wasn't that impressive.)

Today I went to the International Spy Museum, which was really cool, lots of hands-on fun & interesting spy stories. Then I spent the afternoon in the National Portrait Gallery & Smithsonian Museum of American Art - lots of portraits & American art, surprisingly. Five museums down... plenty more to go!