the city that never sleeps

New York Travel Blog

Times Sqaure

Yes here I am, and here I'll stay! (well, for a few more days...) Things keep happening so fast, the days just whizz by, I can't keep up. I have had an awesome time exploring New York & I'm not done yet!

The first couple of days I just spent wandering around the streets, trying to get acquainted. I spent a lot of time around the mid-town area - Times Square, Broadway, etc. The most unbelievable occurence happened on Thursday when I was walking up through Times Square... and bumped into Vanja & Linda (two girls I worked with at camp, who are from Slovenia). I just couldn't believe it (and neither could Vanja when I called out her name!). But it was awesome coz it gave me people to hang out with over the last few days.

@ the top of the Empire State Building
I still can't believe, however, that I bumped into someone I knew in New York City!

On Friday I continued my wandering & then spur of the moment got tickets to see "Rent" on Broadway - I got 50% off tix, so I was pretty happy! It was a really good show - it's a very real storyline & the songs are great.

Saturday I wandered some more, including through all ten floors of Saks Fifth Avenue (I knew as soon as I entered that this was not really a store for the budget traveller - underneath the opening hours it says "also by appointment"!). Then I did another spur of the moment Broadway trip & saw "Spamalot" - cheap tix in the nosebleed seats, but I could see everything & was perfectly happy with the seats. And it was absolutely awesome!! Completely hilarious and the songs are so much fun and I really want to go and see it again now!!

Today I met up with Vanja & Linda again & we went up the Empire State Building. New York really is a fascinating city from above. Tomorrow is September 11th, which is strange to actually be in New York for the anniversary. I can still remember exactly watching it all happen on tv. 5 years ago, so weird.

Times Sqaure
@ the top of the Empire State Buil…
@ the top of the Empire State Bui…
New York