chilling on Martha's Vineyard

West Tisbury Travel Blog

Edgartown

So eventually I had to branch out and actually do some of this travelling alone thing... and now I'm not so sure that I like it!  That's not true, but this is the first time I've actually been alone in my travels, and I think it was a bit of a sudden shock of loneliness. But I'm still enjoying myself, and I think in a way this is something that I need to do for myself anyway.

So I headed from Boston to Martha's Vineyard, to spend a few days chilling by the beach. I've been staying at the youth hostel here, which is a really nice place, very cosy. My first day here the weather was pretty crappy - windy & a little rainy & just not nice. But I still spent time wandering around Edgartown & then Oak Bluffs - lots of cute shops. Eventually I gave up & went and watched a movie "Little Miss Sunshine" and when I walked out of the cinema.

Aquinnah
.. the sun was shining! So I wandered the beach a little to finish my day.

Today the weather was gorgeous & I headed down to Aquinnah where there are big cliffs & a lighthouse & a very long beach that I walked all the way along (and realised half-way along that this was the "clothing-optional" beach I'd read about in my Lonely Planet). But it was just beautiful & the ocean was sparkling & it made me feel so calm. Then I headed up to Vineyard Haven & once again wandered the shops & streets etc. Then I headed down to Menemsha & did some more beach wandering. So all in all it turned out to be a lovely few days.

West Tisbury