I am a tourist!

New York Travel Blog

WTC Site, Sept 11 2006

Well I've spent the last two days being a power-tourist. I bought a New York Pass, which you pay one large amount & then you have entry to a heap of attractions & tours. So I bought just a 2-day pass & then made sure I got my money's worth by fitting in as many things as possible!

I went on a behind-the-scenes tour of NBC - got to see how their news works & the sets of shows like Saturday Night Live. It was really interesting & quite fun. Then I took a tour of Radio City Music Hall - it's an awesome building & there's so many fascinating stories to the interiors & how things work etc. Then I did a Rockefeller Center tour, which went around all the buildings in the Rockefeller Center, looking at the artwork in/on/around the buildings.

Julia Roberts & I
Also very interesting & the guide was seriously knowledgeable.

Then, since it was September 11 & I was in New York, I headed down to the World Trade Center site. I figured this was as good a day as any to go and look. It was very weird, I did feel very sad and kind of awed by it all. But it's strange coz that really wasn't the atmosphere down there - all the official stuff of the day had finished, so there were just lots of people walking past & a bunch of people protesting, saying it was all an inside job... There were lots of flowers & flags & pictures & names. It was an interesting experience.

Last night I figured I'd continue to get the most out of my NY Pass & so went to Madame Tussauds, since it was open late - not really that exciting, I remember being so much more fascinated by it when I was 13.

Empire State Building, Sept 11 2006
Then I went on the NY Skyride at the Empire State Building - very cheesy ride/video thing, very glad I didn't actually pay direct money for the tix. I've been on a similar thing in Sydney & I think somewhere else, which was much better. And then since I could, I went up the Empire State Building again, to see the night views. Lots and lots of lights! They also had big light beams shooting up in the spot where the WTC used to be, so that was also something kind of profound to see on 9/11.

Today I continued my power-touring, with the CNN tour - very similar to the NBC tour & nowhere near as good (the guide had memorised all the info very well, but wasn't really enthusiastic or exciting). Then I went on a tour of the UN - so technically I actually left the USA for an hour or so today! That was quite fascinating, seeing the places where all these major decisions are made about our world.

The United Nations
And there was a lot of interesting information & facts along the way too.

Then (is anyone else getting tired?) I went to the Museum of Television & Radio - really it shouldn't be called a museum, it's more of an archive. But they have mini theatres where they show select programs each day & you can just sit down & watch, wander in & out. And then there's a library where you can search their database of tv & radio programs & pick out things to watch on a little personal monitor. So I ended up finding some Q&A specials with the cast of Gilmore Girls that I'd never be able to see anywhere else, so I had a look at them!

And my final stop for today was the Guggenheim - a very fascinating building, if nothing else. It's an art museum, but it's all on one big spiral that you walk up (or down). I quite liked it. The main exhibition was on the work of an architect, which was quite interesting, but my favourite was one of the smaller exhibits of Jackson Pollock paintings - very cool. Now, I'm going to go and collapse!

New York