Starstruck in LA?

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Venice Beach

So I flew from DC to LA on Monday, and originally I planned to stay here for about a week, but I have to say I hate it here and can't wait to leave.

I just find this a sprawling, fake, trashy city with no real heart or soul.  I have had some good days here, but it's just the general feel of the place.

Tuesday I went to Venice Beach with Nat (we met at the hostel - she's from Tasmania... it's a cliche, but it really is a small world).  It's a gorgeous beach & the weather was great, and of course there are a lot of weirdos around Venice Beach.

Wednesday I went on the Warner Bros Studio tour - I have a love/hate relationship with WB, so I had to go.  It was really great, they take you on a little cart & drive all around the lot & we saw sound stages & streets & all sorts of things.  Also great coz we got to see lots of Gilmore Girls sets!  In the evening I went on a walking tour from the hostel up through Runyon Canyon, which was nice.

Wednesday I went downtown - which there is really nothing there, so I left and went up to the Getty Center, which is a cool museum on top of a hill.  Coming back the traffic was atrocious & it took about 3 hrs on the bus instead of 40mins.

I've wandered the Hollywood area over the last few days as that's where the hostel is, saw the Walk of Fame & all those things (really not that impressive).  And now I'm getting out of here!

erinontour says:
I stayed at the USA Hostel, which is in the Hollywood area, & it was very safe & clean & they have lots of social events. www.usahostels.com
Posted on: Oct 15, 2006