Our Camp Aloha!

Fairlee Travel Blog

July 4th, amazing cake!

Wow, a week of camp has just flown by!

We were all really excited for our campers to arrive, but then it rained all opening day, which made things a little harder.  It also rained every day for the next few days, sometimes for most of the day, sometimes in sudden bursts.  The last few days have been beautiful and sunny, which is much nicer for summer camp!

My campers are 13-year-olds and they're really nice.  They've been a little homesick and a bit shy, but they seem to be getting into some of the camp fun now.  They're only here for half session, which means I get a new set of campers in a couple of weeks.

We've been getting into the swing of activities and having lots of fun.  We do a lot of singing - heaps of camp songs and plenty of silly songs.

One serious bonfire.
  There are lots of little rituals and camp traditions, and I think I'm slowly getting to know them all, and it's certainly good to get into a bit of a routine.

The bugs here are ridiculous and seem to think I'm an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord, lots of mosquitoes and also little black flies which seem to really enjoy biting my head.  That's the price you pay for living with nature!

We had big 4th of July celebrations.  We started the day wearing red, white & blue and participated in a parade and decorated the dining room, and our kitchen made a huge cake decorated as a US flag with cream & strawberries & blueberries - so good!  In the afternoon we went to Lanakila and had a carnival involving all three camps, and finished the night off with a HUGE bonfire and fireworks.

We also had a Royal Tea party yesterday, which was lots of fun.  It's really exciting to have a day off - as much as I'm enjoying camp, it's go-go-go every day, so it's very nice to get away.  I also never thought I'd be so excited to have a rest hour every day, but it's awesome!!

Jaye says:
Hey! Looks like you're having a ball! Want me to send over some aerogard with the tim tams??
Posted on: Jul 08, 2006
A Royal Tea party.
A Royal Tea party.
This old barn at Lanakila.
'This old barn' at Lanakila.
Fairlee