Buffalo Travel Blog

Niagara Falls

I arrived very early yesterday morning into Buffalo, it was cold & raining, but I got to the hostel fairly easily & collapsed!  The lady there was ridiculously nice & friendly - she gave me all these maps & told me how to get to the falls & the best things to see & where to try shopping & where the best cafe was & where to buy food... so lovely.

So after I napped a little, ate breakfast, did some laundry, had a shower... I felt like a new person!  I wandered along the main shopping street in Buffalo - my mission was to buy a warm hat, to prevent my head freezing off!  I found a hat & it was fun people-watching too, as the shops were having a little-kids trick-or-treat in the afternoon - so many cuties dressed up as princesses and Star Wars characters!  In the evening I went out with a few ppl from the hostel to the Anchor Bar - which is where Buffalo Wings were invented (we didn't actually have any, but whatever).

Niagara Falls

Today I headed up to Niagara Falls, about an hour bus ride away.  It was still freezing & windy, but at least it wasn't raining (however with the spray blowing up from the falls, it was sometimes hard to tell...).  So I wandered around the Falls area, saw the American Falls & Bridal Veil falls, including a little trip down into the gorge & seeing the falls from below.  Then I wandered over to the big Horseshoe Falls... and all of them were quite large & impressive, I guess (apparently they're not at full flow - a lot of the water is diverted into hydro plants once tourist season is over) but they're not very pretty.  They're just big.

I was very frustrated that I couldn't cross over to the Canadian side (because of my visa), as you can tell the view from there is far superior - plus that's where all the shops & cafes (& casinos) are & on a day like today it would've been nice to sit in a cafe for a little while!

Now I head back to NYC as the grand tour of the USA is almost over...

Buffalo