Museum overload

Washington Travel Blog

WWII Memorial

So continuing my DC explorations...

Thursday: I checked out the Textiles Museum, which was really cute & they had a great hands-on exhibition that I kept thinking would be awesome for a camp arts & crafts day-trip ("come on girls, grab a bag lunch, we're going to DC...").  Then I went to the Postal Museum & later in the arvo I checked out the Hirshorn Museum & Sculpture Garden - lots of modern stuff, some of it fascinating, some of it just plain silly.

Then I headed down towards all the memorials, even though it was threatening to rain.  I wandered through the WWII memorial & then down to the Lincoln Memorial, at which point the rain was no longer a threat & many of us were just hanging out in the Lincoln Memorial waiting for it to ease.

Jefferson Memorial
  I was wet & cold & hungry & the rain was really heavy & the nearest metro station 10 mins away.  Eventually it eased a little & I decided I didn't want to hang out with Lincoln forever, but I arrived home very wet & cold & tired... but I was surprisingly un-grumpy about it!

Friday: I spent the morning & part of the afternoon at the National Gallery of Art, which I really powered through at an impressive rate.  I finally managed to convince myself that I don't have to look at every single piece of artwork & therefore only stopped to read plaques etc of pieces that actually caught my interest first.  Then I headed across to the Air & Space museum, thinking that I shouldn't limit myself to art & that I like other things such as air & space... but after about half an hour I decided that no, really, I go to art museums for a reason & I don't like air & space.

So instead I headed down to finish my tour of all the memorials, checking out the Vietnam War Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the FDR Memorial & the Jefferson Memorial.  The last two were my faves - FDR has lots of fountains/waterfalls & I love water.  Anyway, by this stage I was beyond exhausted from all the walking & staggered back to Ramsey's to collapse.

Washington