Clifden Travel Blog

Sky Road
Another yummy breakfast at our hotel.  A great way to start the day, especially when the handsome proprietor comes to your table and says, "Why, this must be three sisters traveling together."  What a line.  I just had to laugh out loud.  Those Irish ~ what a hoot!

Des met us in the hotel parking lot at 9 o'clock sharp.  Leigh Ann was a bit under the weather because of an earache, courtesy of the harsh western wind.  She was a good sport and brought all of her camera equipment along.   Her natural photographic talent was much appreciated on this trip.  I was just taking snapshots; she was capturing incredible beauty.   The Abbeyglen Castle Hotel sits right on Sky Road, a favorite loop road of the Irish and tourists alike.
Sky Road
   I had bought a CD in Galway entitled, "Celtic Women" and one of the tracks was "The Sky Road."  We popped the CD in the player and listened to the haunting voice and telling lyrics.

Danny's made his mind up, he's leaving for America.
                         He's leaving for America, leaving all of us behind.
                         He says there's nothing here not drenched in beer.
Sky Road

In blood and retribution.
                         And the wealth distribution's
                         Been weighing heavy on his mind.
                         And he knows that he'll regret the leaving.
                         Knows that he will pine for grieving.
                         For the Sky Road by the singing sea
                         And all of us behind.
Fishermen with their dog as seen from Sky Road

We climbed up the hill and followed the narrow road as it wound it's way along the shoreline.  These lyrics were telling us a story of love and longing.   I'll never forget the feeling.  Now when I play this CD in my car as I maneuver the busy interstate highways here at home, I am reminded of the tranquility of this special place.  This song brings it back to the front of my mind and I can almost smell the sea.

Leigh felt really, really bad on this particular day, but she was a trooper and managed to take some incredible pictures.  Now all I have to do is open my scrapbook and I'm magically transported across the Atlantic again.  To this land of leprechauns, laughter, and love.

mimmee says:
These certainly are beautiful photos!!
Posted on: Jan 03, 2008
Sky Road
Fishermen with their dog as seen f…
Fishermen with their dog as seen …
photo by: kingelvis14