An Bothar Pub

Ballydavid Travel Blog

Mist on the hilltop
After our history lesson at Brandon Mountain, it was time to head back to Ballyvaughan and our cozy room.  It had been a very long day and we were really starting to get hungry.   Only one problem.  We were waaaaay out in the countryside and I can assure you, there is no fast food within 100 miles in any direction.

The clouds were starting to come in and hang low on the mountaintops.  White dots with a resemblance to sheep were covering the green, green hillsides and pastures.   Our wonderful and very agreeable driver, Des,  was always quick to pull over and let us take pictures.   He pulled into the parking lot of a friendly-looking building, which served as a pub, a bed & breakfast and a home for the proprieters and their children.
The Walsh children with their dog.

An Bothar Pub.  That's Gaelic and I don't know how to pronounce it or what it means.  But I do know that the pub (restaurant) was closed because it was too early for dinner.  But that didn't stop Mrs. Aileen Walsh from offering up a warm bowl of homemade vegetable soup and some delicious sandwiches for the four of us.   Her husband, Muiris, was outside chopping wood and their three children, two sons and a daughter, were running and playing with the family dog.  Leigh was able to snap a few quick pictures of the children.  Our stomachs appreciated the good food and generous hospitality.

If I am ever fortunate enough to be back in this part of Ireland, this place will be on top of my list.  The pub has local musicians several nights a week and there is a large wooden dance floor.  In my mind's eye I can see the room packed with smiling faces and busy feet keeping beat to the lively music.   If we pick the right night and the "Luck of the Irish" is with us, we might hear the lead singer of the Cranberries; she lives only a few miles up the road and frequents the pub from time to time.
Ballydavid