Adare

Adare Travel Blog

One of many thatched cottages

I had requested that we go to the village of Adare.   Claimed to be Ireland's prettiest village, it is nestled in the wooded valley of the River Maigue.   Although, in my humble opinion, it is probably only one of a hundred "pretty villages", it was still worth the stop.  It does, to it's credit, have a number of well-maintained thatched cottages alongside the road.  Thatch has, in the most part, been replaced by slate and the thatched roof is actually a rarity in most of Ireland.

I needed to exchange my dollars for euros, so Des pulled over and let us all stretch our legs.  There was a Bank of Ireland just a few blocks down the street who would be glad to accommodate me.

Rosie with her trained owl
   Our stop in Adare would also provide a good photo opportunity for Leigh Ann.   The old Catholic Church, the cottages, the people.  Every way we turned provided us with something new and different.  The sky was blue and the temperature was pleasant.  What more could we ask for?

We made a loop through the Adare Manor property and came upon a woman training her birds of prey.  She had each one tethered on the leg and sitting on a perch.  She had on very heavy leather gloves for handling purposes.   Leigh Ann approached her and learned that she used the birds for educational purposes in the schools.  Adare Manor allowed her to use their grounds for her training sessions.   Her name was "Rosie" and she was more than happy to pose for a picture.  Her birds were simply beautiful and we were pleased she shared this time with us.

Catholic Church
Catholic Church
Little girls on schoolyard playing…
Little girls on schoolyard playin…
Adare