Touching Down in Shannon

Shannon Travel Blog

Des Prior, our driver

Catherine, Leigh Ann, and I had an uneventful flight from Birmingham, Alabama, to Shannon Airport on the Emerald Isle.  There wasn't an empty seat and it was impossible to catch a wink of sleep because of our excitement!  I had booked a driver that was to meet us at the airport and I didn't have a clue what he looked like ~ so there was a little bit of anxiety on my part.  What if he was a no-show??

All my worries were put to rest after we claimed our luggage and walked toward the exit.  There was the most pleasant looking man, just standing and waiting.  I knew it was our driver, Des Prior.  He would be our new best friend for the next six days and nights.  His home is in Dingle and he had to get up at 3 a.m. in order to drive up to Shannon and meet our red-eye.  I felt bad for him, but I just knew that he wasn't any more tired than we were after our all-night flight.

Our first stop was only a ten minute drive from the airport.  Des wanted to give us a chance to get a cup of coffee or a bite of breakfast and get to know each other a bit.  He quickly explained his role as our driver and his expectations.  I got to ask questions and Des patiently gave me answers.  Then we were off!

sylviandavid says: