One heck of a long day.

Sydney Travel Blog

Lauren at Hobart airport

My day: Wake up in time to start work at 0700, work hard all day long. Rush home from work, jump online to wish a TravBuddy happy birthday, water plants, tick off items on ‘don’t forget’ list: passport, tickets, tour vouchers, accommodation vouchers, money, mobile phone and charger, camera and battery charger, sunnies, MP3, back pack (cabin baggage), suitcase, camera, camera, camera. Ok...

I have a foolproof way of travelling so that if my checked in baggage goes astray it doesn’t affect me too much. I pack in my cabin baggage anything that I would be lost without, mobile charger, camera battery charger, a change of clothes and every pair on knickers I own. My friends laugh at me, but they won’t be laughing if their bags go missing. After working in the airline industry for over 12 years, I have come across one or two people inconvenienced by their bags going missing and they have packed their mobile phone charger or some other necessity in their checked in luggage, the best are the people who pack their life saving medicine in their checked baggage, hmmm.

Interesting photo of a Virgin Blue aircraft and a man with his finger up his nose

Lauren finished work at 5pm and swung by my place to pick me up on the way to the airport.  Hobart has great valet parking at reasonable prices so we left the car there while we were away. I still hadn’t decided if I would come straight home or stay in Sydney for a couple of extra nights so we took Laurens car.

Travelling as airline staff you never know for sure if you are going to get a seat or not. We had checked the loads earlier and there were 20 spare seats on the flight to Sydney so we weren’t too worried, until the check in staff said, “We have a full flight today, so we’ll see if we can get you on.” I know my mouth dropped open and I turned to Lauren who I imagine mirrored my look of horror exactly.

Our transportation to Sydney
Oh no! I turned back to the check in staff and he was laughing and said “Just kidding”. I could have reached over the counter and quite happily rung his neck.

So, with boarding pass in one hand and camera in the other, we were off through security, “No we have no aerosols or sharp implements unless you count my sharp wit, hehehe”. I took what I thought was a great photo of a Virgin Aircraft through the window from my seat, only to discover after a closer look a man in the foreground picking his nose. Lovely!

The Jetstar flight was very uneventful and after his nasty joke, the man at check in gave us the window exit row, so I had room between the front of my knees and the seat in front. Lauren doesn’t need to worry about legroom; she isn't an Amazon like me.

Stairway to Heaven

From the domestic terminal in Sydney, it was a five-minute walk to the Formule 1 Hotel (see review) and it would have taken us 30 minutes to wait in line for a taxi, so we headed off with our bags in tow. If you need an inexpensive hotel for a night at Sydney airport, I do recommend this one. If you want luxury - forget about it, no room service (meals are available from a vending machine in the foyer), not even a telephone in the room. However, there was a shuttle bus for AUD4:50 to take us to the international terminal in the morning. It is also right next to Krispy Kreme donuts so you can get a ‘meal’ at any time. Lauren and I went and got ourselves a donut dinner. Yum yum. While at Krispy Kreme eating our donuts, one of the staff came over to us to ask who was sitting behind us, neither Lauren or I noticed, she (the staff) said, “They have left their shoes behind”.

Interesting angle
Sure enough, we have a look and there’s a pair of thongs (I thought shoes was a very generous description) just sitting on the floor.

It was midnight when I finally turned the light out after setting my alarm for nice and early in the morning. It was a long day, and we still need to get to New Zealand.

Good night and sleep tight.

tj1777 says:
I think you forgot missing your connecting flight while your back are still checked in and having to stay 2 nights on hotels without a change of cloths :(
Posted on: Jan 29, 2008
Lauren at Hobart airport
Interesting photo of a Virgin Blue…
Interesting photo of a Virgin Blu…
Service has started
View from the aircraft window
Our huge room at the Formule 1
Our huge room at the Formule 1
Sydney Hotels & Accommodations review
Well here’s a hotel you only want to stay at if you are staying for a very short time in Sydney and only need a bed for the night. It’s in a fanta… read entire review
Sydney