Last minute hiccups

Hobart Travel Blog

Right from the start of planning this short trip to New Zealand, Lauren and I decided to go for full adventure and pack in as much as we could. This was Lauren’s first overseas trip so we chose a close destination where we could get in and out quite easily, as originally we were going to try to go for five days all up, but there was way too much to do, so we extended our holiday by a few days.

We browsed through a few brochures to decide exactly what we wanted to do. Lauren did not intend to do a bungy jump and I could take it or leave it, so bungy went on my ‘If I have time’ list. I really wanted to see Milford Sound and no matter what else I did, I was going to see this stunning place. Last time I was in New Zealand I didn’t have time to go to Milford Sound and was very disappointed. So, Lauren and I went through the brochures and chose all the activities we wanted to do. We wrote a list of activities and had three columns, yes, no and maybe. We agreed on everything and had all the same things planned until it came time to book and pay, Lauren decided to skip Milford Sound. Some of the things that were on my maybe (if I have time) list were the Shotover Canyon Swing, Ledge swing, Tandem Hang Gliding and bungy jumping. I may do some of them when I go back next year... we’ll see.

Lauren found the hotel on an online hotel booking web site for a very reasonable price, the Sherwood Manor Hotel was a little further out of town than I would have liked but I couldn’t argue with the price. We did have a scare the week we were leaving though, I called the hotel to check on something, but they didn’t have a record of our booking, and there was no availability on one of the nights... SHIIIIT!!!  We ran around, spoke to the booking agent, and sent the hotel our confirmation email and the day before we departed, we heard from the hotel that all was ok. Phew. Always confirm on line bookings, ALWAYS!

I came down with bronchitis a week before I left as well; thankfully, I was feeling better by the time we took off. So with all the stress out of the way we headed out to the airport for our little adventure. Hang on to your hats, there’s a wild ride ahead.

Sunflower300 says:
Thank you everyone for your congratulations on my feature. Make sure you do yourself a favour and book your holiday to New Zealand soon. :)
Cheers
Elke
Posted on: Dec 05, 2008
reikunboy says:
congrats on being featured what an adrenalized blog
I've never been to the south Island but when I travelled through the North I did sky diving, jet boating, rafting and black water rafting which involves tubes and caving, awesome times cheers to NZ
Posted on: Dec 04, 2008
shirlan says:
Congratulations on being featured!
Posted on: Dec 03, 2008