Back in Istanbul

Istanbul Travel Blog

Spice market
We were torn between coming back to Istanbul and trying to go one other place first. I think the deciding factor may have been the 11 hour night bus. We weren't really game for an extra one of those. So we headed for Istanbul. We spent the last couple of days there and they passed quite quickly. A Turkish bath quickly made us forget the cold days we had spent in Goreme. The sweet underwear clad older Turkish women that scrubbed us down and then sudsed us up made the experience. Feeling sparkly clean, we wandered around and got lost only to find ourselves in the spice market again. It seemed to have some sort of magnetic attraction for us. Next we popped over to the asian side to attend a HUGE market in Kadikoy.
There was the most beautiful produce I have ever seen set in immaculate displays. The human interaction was just fun to be a part of and observe.

Wednesday was pretty rainy. We thought we would explore Topkapi and skip out on some of the rain but still ended up pretty wet. The palace was good but I will have to do some research to fill in the blanks. It sort of seemed to be more of a shell to me. I needed more to show me what it was like when it was occupied. I dont know if it was the chilly weather but I got sick and slowed down a little. Always a bummer when traveling but it was okay. We spent the afternoon wandering the city and stopping to drink tea and play Pisti our newly learned card game.

On Thursday we spent more time on the water and around Beyoglu. It was still pretty funky weather so we had a late start. The people watching was top notch and we enjoyed ourselves. We also made sure to eat our last meal of Kofte or meatballs. I think that was our favorite Turkish food. Embarassingly, I think we ate them nearly every day. That evening we had a great time with our hostel mates. After dinner, drinks, and games, it was too late to go to bed. Our 3:15 shuttle was quickly approaching so we stayed up and enjoyed ourselves. A great night to cap off a wonderful trip.
photo by: Memo