An Afternoon in Lake Tahoe with Liz (Quest)

Lake Tahoe Travel Blog

On Liz's US adventures, she made a 5 day detour to spend time with me in Northern California.  I had to try and pack as much of my beautiful part of California as I could in 5 days! Quite a feat but we started off with an afternoon in Lake Tahoe.  The weather wasn't appearing to cooperate for later in the week as the storm arriving was going to make an early appearance and snow was scheduled to start falling around midnight Monday night. After I was done with work, we headed up to North Lake Tahoe and Kings Beach which is one of the most popular areas of Tahoe.

Kings Beach

I had never visited this part of Tahoe - Kings Beach is known as the north shore's banana belt, as it stands in the sun's path from early am til late in the day.

There is a beautiful downtown beach area and cute downtown shopping areas.  Apparently it was named after a card Shark, Joe  King, who won the town site from George Whittell.  This part of Tahoe is known as the "kick back" mellow area of Tahoe.  There were very few people and I am sure some of it was the day of the week but also the time of year.  I am sure during summer, this beach is filled with families enjoying the views.

We had bought sandwiches and sat outside on the bench enjoying the breathtaking views from the lake as the sun began to set.  It was pretty chilly but a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

Crystal Bay

Crystal Bay is the area that divides the California and Nevada borders.  We visited this area just driving around the lake, trying to find somewhere to grab a quick bite for lunch.

HAHA.  The Cal-Neva resort is located here, where you can actually swim from one state to the other in their pool! LOL.  Crystal Bay is where Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Jack Kennedy and Sam Giancana played in the 1960's.

Crystal Bay was a beautiful little area with four classic looking casinos along the road.  This was a busy area back in the 1930's for construction and business development after the casinos began to open.  Apparently the Cal-Neva Resort experienced a bad fire in 1937, and obviously rebuilt.

After driving around Tahoe for a bit, we decided to head to Reno to check the area out and truly give Liz another state to add to her US adventures blog! :D

jenn79 says:
Love the pictures - I can't believe all the things you guys were able to do!! What a lovely grand tour!
Posted on: Nov 30, 2008
BlueMoonAdventure says:
Nice factual writeup and great pics!! One of my favorite places!
Posted on: Nov 30, 2008