W.R. Hearst State Beach to San Simeon Point

San Simeon Travel Blog

***NOTE: Hearst State Beach is slated to be CLOSED by Schwarzenegger in July of '08!!!! (Update June 29, 2008: this was REVERSED!!!!! YAY!!!!!)

What a wonderful and gorgeous trail!! By far one of my favorites! Unfortunately the batteries in my camera died before the most beautiful part of this trail, but I will go back so I'll add those photos at some point. We purchased a book at a local bookstore here in Atascadero called "Ann's Books" titled "Day Hikes on the Central Coast" 71 Great Hikes by Robert Stone. This book has an easy layout and I highly recommend it. We've heard about this particular trail from a few people but were unsure of where it was located because it is not marked at all.
Thank goodness for this book because it described in detail where to go. Also fortunately for us another couple was on the trail a little ahead of us so when in doubt we were able to see where they went. There are a few spots on the trail where you have to detour due to fallen trees or eroded soil, so watch out for that if you plan on doing this trail. In those areas you have to go under the barbed wire fence to the right, which is private property, but the only way to get passed these blocks in the trail. It's obvious that it's been this way for some time because the barbed wire is permanently bent in these spots where people have had to duck under.
The view as you near the point is beautiful. One of the most fascinating things that we saw was a huge and old eucalyptus tree that was growing towards the ground. It looked like something out of Lord of the Rings. I was actually able to sit on one of the huge branches and sit sheltered. Once we reached what we thought was the end of the trail we realized that the trails goes off to the right down a tunnel of trees right out of a fairy-tale. We continued along that path but decided to take one of the many little paths that branch off of the main one. We were so rewarded!! At the end of these shorter path is an unimpeded view of the point and the coast line. It was stunning!!!!
Amy792 says:
Such beautiful beaches!!! Sooooo glad that the decision to close them was reversed so people can enjoy!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2008
missandrea81 says:
Sounds enchanting! Why does Arnold want to close this down??
Posted on: Jan 28, 2008