7th day

Namib-Naukluft National Park Travel Blog

Next morning, or better.. night. 03:45u.

"Morning, morning! Chop, chop!" Getting out the tent as fast as you can. Getting showered as fast as you can.

"Can I have some coffee?" "NO! Get in the truck Thor!" Half past 4, it was like a rally tour! Madness takes over.

We had to get by dune 45, before the sun would set. Faster, faster. And the travel road is not bumpy free. Empty stomach, and when we got by dune 45, we were kicked out of the bus. We had to climb on the dune. Easy, not! A little 30 minutes was our guess before we started the climb to the top. It turned out to be an hour. Exhausted we were at the top. But (oh, what a timing) within 5 minutes the sun rose. Magnifique! The colors, the illnes, the fatigue.

I couldn't control myself and thumbled (how lovely) below. Dion, meanwhile, was preparing our breakfast. When we finished it, we were driven to Sossus vlei. Boesman was our guide and he told us in entertaining Afrikaans about the history of this area and his inhabitants. But the most beautiful still had to come.

mrvis says:
Nice experience, looks great there!
Posted on: Jul 22, 2008
It sounds logical, but the time we went to Deadvlei, the clock was not even past noon. Sitting there in 4*4 drive, packed like sheeps, the trip through Sossusvlei could not go endlessly, because the temperature rises quickly after 14:00u., so we had little time. Boesman glimming of proud announced us "Het mooiste mooi" (The most beautiful beautiful), Deadvlei.

There it was...
The redrusted dunes in combination with the little salty white sediments, whereas the trees where standing for some 600 years. This fossilized wood could not be digested by microorganisms because of the severe microclimate. It was so surreal. While temperatures rose, I just sat there, letting the atmosphere sucking up my brains.

No more words to be found. Let the pictures do their work.

At last, it was time to go, before we got cooked, to Sesriem. Relaxing at the swimming pool with some rich Russian dudes. At 15:00u. we restarted our trip further up north. Let's take a visit in Solitaire.
Namib-Naukluft National Park