4th day, evening

Vittlers Creek Travel Blog

Orange River

If you want to go to this place, turn left right before you should cross the border at Vioolsdrift. You can not miss it, because the river is running like a green corridor through the arid dessert. Riding to the west, you will find this campsite under the scarcely scattered trees.

We all felt quite filthy with the dust, even in the ears. Thus, after putting up our tents, we took the oppurtunity to swim in the river. Despite the stories about little fish swimming in your genitals (slim chance!) we enjoyed this refreshment. The birdlife is fantastic! Pied fisher king and more! But while we were getting our heads dustfree, some made preparations for the upcoming evening. There were two birthday's that day and they of course did not know, that we knew!

Special for these two party animals, there was lots of beer and BRAAI.

Happy Birthday
This is the African version of barbeque. After all the congratulations it was time to eat. Meanwhile, the sun was already behind the horizon and we were walking with bare feet at the ground, in the dark, enlightened with littel candels.

So, I was standing in the qeue for some food. Suddenly, at my heel, I felt something. It was like a little coktail stick ticking in your flesh. Just once. I grapped my lighter and yesss, there it was. A scorpio! I managed to catch it in someones drink cup. In the mean time, my heel was tingeling. It was a fact, I was stung... Little panic in the camp. The campsite owner looked suprised. "We never saw scorpions before around here!". Didn't matter, there was a local doctor in the neighbourhood. He gave me some antibiotics, antidote and prohibeted me to drink and eat for the rest of the evening. No! There was a little party and I could not be part of it.

Eventually, I was very lucky. The scorpion species was poisoness, but probably it gave me only a warning sting. The rest of the evening my feet did hurt a little bit and I was a little dizzy, additionaly I fell early in sleep. But that was it, no more symptoms and complications. The night was good and the next morning every pain and worry was vanished.

Victim