4th day

Steinkopf Travel Blog

As cold as hell. Shivering I was searching for a hot shower after Tom woke us with a "Morning, morging!" shaking the tent poles. It was six a clock in the morning! This vacation staying a long time in your sleeping bag was an mission impossible. Still not awake after the shower, someone offered me a coffee. "Here, have some great instant shit!". Thaaanks dude! Don't believe me, you can get used to instant coffee! After some days, I was begging for it.. at 0400 hours. I'll tell you later.

The plan for today was, driving al the way up to Oranjeriver (Orange River), the natural border between Namibia and South Africa. No problem! After getting rid off all those old bread, flushing it away with caffeine, we broke down our tents. Packing it all up on the truck, we were leaving around 8.
In the truck all the sweaters were taken off fast. So, did the temperature raising. Each hour went by, the scenery became drier and drier. Finally, it was so empty, so beautiful. But the sights were not boring.  Sometimes we saw springboks and even an oryx. While having a pitstop, we spotted a herd of babboons in the distance. So, the ride was going well... untill. We stopped in the middle of the dessert. The engine was overheated! We had to go out.

This experience was so intense.  There you are, standing there between rocks, rocks and rocks. The air dancing above the boiling stones. Feeling so alone (trying to forget my fellow travellers), it was delightening. After some reparations (I am not a mechanic smarthead, so what they did, beats me!) we resumed our way after a little hour. Finally, and the end off the day we arrived at our new campsite.
Steinkopf