3rd day, evening

Citrusdal Travel Blog

When the afternoon was ending, whe arrived at Gekko's (something) lodge, nearby Cederberg. Before all activity (getting ourselves stuffed with all kinds of bushmeat, the tent had to been build. There were enough of them, so I had my own. Lucky me! Nevertheless, for the first time you need two to make something. Afterwards, this was a piece of cake. At this point I did not any assistence anymore. Next, was the hike in the neigbourhood. The lodge owner (white of course, all of them were the rest of the trip) said we had to wait.

For Scocci! This was our guide for the hike, that evening. This little San man was a nice character. Official African Time, he came some 25 minutes to late. Smiling, apologizing, etc.

Our crew and the lodge owner looked at him, if they forgive him, again. And they will always do. Nevermind, lets go.

The hike started just outside the campsite. Immediately after the start, this fellow excused himself for the fact that we would not see any 'big' wildlife. He spoke in a mixture of English and Afrikaans (which is a variety of old Dutch). All these funny words were sometimes hilarious. The first part forced us to cross the Olifantsrivier. At that part, no elephants were present. So, we had to take our shoes and socks off and try to stay upright on the slippery rocks. It was not only that, the water was damn cold also. Didn't matter, the landscapes were exciting and all the little stories of Scocci made it unforgettable.

Wet feet
  Of course, the whole group was so enthousiastic, Scocci decided to show us much more. Not only small animals like millipeds, spiders, tok-tokkies and scorpio, but also some plants, like pretoria, national symbol of SA, did get attention. Result: the food was all ready when we came back on the campsite. It was stewed Springbok. I guess, I was the lucky one. The flesh was delicious, however, not everybody did appreciate it. To bad for them.

After, this break, Tom started an introduction talk (finally) and gave some handy facts about camping in Africa. After that, the whole group had to introduce itself. Many beers lasted it and completely forfilled (and cold, the temp dropped till zero Celsius!) I fell asleep in my new home for the next weeks.

Wet feet
This little friend I will meet aga…
This little friend I will meet ag…
Citrusdal