AsiaIndiaMadurai

Yup, It's A Temple

Madurai Travel Blog

Sri Meenakshi Temple

Today I visited Sri Meenakshi Temple in Madurai.  I actually have a great view of it from the roof of the hotel that I’m staying at.  It’s quite massive and the inner temple was full of pilgrims saying their prayers and receiving blessings from the brahmins.

It was beautiful, but let’s face it, I’m all templed out.  I can’t count how many temples I’ve visited in the past few weeks and I don’t want to.  I’ve gotten pretty jaded here.  It happens.

Temple temple pretty, temple temple blah.

It might have been different if I actually was Hindu, but I’m not, so it isn’t.

I am glad that I visited this last one though.  As much as I admire the superb architecture of some of these temples, it’s the people that fascinate me the most.

I’m not a religious person.  I wasn’t raised with any faith and I’ve never been pulled towards a particular religion.  I’ve got my own spirituality, but it doesn’t compare to the devout faith that many of these people possess.  It’s something I will never truly be able to understand because I’ve never felt so strongly about any faith.  It’s what fascinates me so much when I people-watch at temples.  This is where I find the most beauty in any religious site I visit.

Sri Meenakshi Temple
Sri Meenakshi Temple as seen from …
Sri Meenakshi Temple as seen from…
Madurai