A Place On Koh Phi Phi

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

Made it to Koh Phi Phi two days ago and found us a reasonably priced room in what I like to describe as the armpit of Tourist Village.  Not that it’s a bad place or anything but since it’s peak season we decided to get a place at the edge of town where the prices are more relatively reasonable.  Unlike Koh Lanta, THIS is the island everyone has come to for the holidays!  Tourist Village is where all the guesthouses, stores, restaurants, bars, and tour operators are located.  And there’s plenty to see and do here.

Actually, the “plenty” is part illusion as all tour operators offer the same trips: snorkeling, scuba diving, rock climbing, or visiting sites such as Maya Beach, “the beach” from The Beach (as in the movie).

I caught a glimpse of said beach when our dive boat drove past the opening of the bay……and by “caught a glimpse” I mean, kind of saw it through the hoards of tourists and tourist boats.  I’m sure up close it’s very lovely and I’m sure I’ll be making a trip myself later.  Just another check on the world’s “To See” list.

After spending the day yesterday lounging on the beach, Sean and I split up today:  He went rock climbing up the limestone peaks around the island and I went on some dives.

The vibrant colours of all the corals were stunning.  I mean bright blues, pinks, reds, and greens.  So pretty!  I also got to see my first leopard shark today!  It was sitting on the sand just minding its own business as my dive group slowly crept up to it to get a better look.  Leopard sharks have spotted markings and a long tail and this one was a good 1.5m.  Absolutely beautiful!  The other highlight was getting to see several lionfish, including one that was swimming in the open with its gorgeous fins fanned out displaying it’s orangey-striped markings.

I’m really excited to do more diving including a trip to the King Cruiser wreck tomorrow which will be my first wreck dive.  Wish me luck!

glennisnz says:
I presume this is a year after the tsunami, everything looks great, very pretty.
Posted on: Mar 01, 2008