Just The One Day

Pondicherry Travel Blog

An ice cream man on break. I shot this while walking down the promenade in Pondicherry.

I was excited about coming to Pondicherry to see the French colonial architecture and learn about the famous Sri Aurobindo Ashram.  I figured that I’d end up staying here for some time to enjoy what was rumoured to be a lovely city.  It’s a lovely city, but unless you’re actually participating in ashram life, there isn’t much else to do here.  Except bleed money.

Several guesthouses I checked when I got into town were not only full, but some were booked solid for the upcoming week!  If you’re planning on ever coming to Pondicherry, make sure to book a room in advance.  The cheapest room I could find was double the cost of my usually room fees!  So instead of spending some time here soaking up the glory of Pondicherry, I’m going to bail tomorrow.

You get a feeling about certain places, and this city and I don’t see m to have a lot in common.  I’m just not feeling it.  There’s no other way I can explain it.  I know other people really love this city as well as ashram life, but I’m not going to force myself into staying for the sake of it.  There’s too much else to see in this huge country.  I’d rather plant myself somewhere that pulls me to stay.

If anything, I’m wishing I stayed a bit longer in Mamallapuram now.  It felt more close-knit and there were lots to explore.  Pondicherry seems too full of foreigners whose sole reason for coming to India is to attend the Sri Aurobindo Ashram.

I checked out the ashram today.  It was interesting to get a peak inside, but it’s just not for me.  Maybe some other ashram in some other place at some other time, but not today.  Or tomorrow.

Chidambaram here I come.

An ice cream man on break.  I shot…
An ice cream man on break. I sho…
Pondicherry