Monkeys and Stolen Flips-Flops for New Years Eve

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

My friends and I on our long-tail boat off to do some snorkeling

Happy New Years!  My New Years was more than happy.  It was FANTASMIC.  All credited to the awesome group of friends I was lucky enough to meet.

Sean and I met Magda on the ferryboat coming to Phi Phi and she scored a room across the hall from ours.  After a few days hanging out on the beach, diving, and rock climbing, my Canadian friends whom I met in Chiang Mai, Matt and Lloyd joined us on the island.  To round us off were Pete and Purvi, friends Sean met while rock climbing.  All of us solo travelers.  All of us friends due to that strange bond you can only find among backpackers from all over the world.

On to our awesome New Years Eve day:  Aside from Purvi, all of us hired a long-tail boat to take us around Phi Phi Lei for some snorkeling and a visit to the beach made famous by the movie The Beach, Maya Beach.

Maya Beach

Our first snorkeling stop took had us exploring the shore off the east side of Phi Phi Lei for about 45 minutes while our long-tail boat followed behind us.  There was so much to see!  I still can’t believe how much we all managed to see while just snorkeling and free diving.  Aside from the beautiful corals and tropical colourful fish, we saw squid, trumpet fish, loads of pufferfish, a yellow boxfish, a lionfish, and a small hawksbill turtle that Sean chased away.

For me, the best was having my first sighting of a juvenile harlequin fish, a small fish with large white polka dots that disappear when the fish matures.  It looked unreal, like a cartoon.  Personally, I love spotting marine life that really don’t look like they actually exist.  Mother Nature sure thinks up some fun stuff.  I know a lot of you out there may not care for knowing the types of fish people see while diving or snorkeling, but I care and I WAS EXCITED.

Our beach at Maya Bay

Next was a stop at Maya Beach where the hoards of people sprawled on the sand the excellent view of speedboats lined up on the shore was a HUGE TURN OFF.  All of us decided to make our way out to a smaller stretch of beach in the same bay that was empty.  Although the sand there wasn’t as perfect (and I mean PERFECT) as the sand on Maya Beach, the fact that it was OUR beach made it better.  Well, ours until everyone else saw that we were there and then the jig was up so we abandoned beach.

After another stop for some snorkeling, our guide took us to Monkey Beach where, and I know this will come as a surprise, the place was crawling with MONKEYS!  Again, hoards of tourists, but this time feeding the monkeys.  Terrible for the animals yes, but this is Thailand and there’s no stopping the people from wanting to domesticate everything in order to get some photos.

Monkey Beach
  So we took lots of photos.

And that was our New Years MORNING!  Needless to say, we all needed a rest that afternoon in order to partake in the marathon of a New Years Eve party that lay ahead of us.

New Years Eve was spent at Hippies, a great dance bar on the beach with an amazing DJ that kept the energy up all night and loads of dancing people mostly our age.

Somewhere in the night Sean and I managed to lose one of our flip-flops each.  Sean, being the gentleman, walked home barefoot, but I, in my ENLIGHTENED state, decided to snatch the first pair I could find on the beach that was my size.  Well, close to my size.  As I was walking I realized that I managed to grab some flip-flops a size too small for me.  Possibly kids sized flip-flops.

New Years Eve

So I started off the New Year by stealing from a kid.  But hey, what kind of parents takes their kids to a crazy, drunken New Years beach party?

And now it’s all over.  Our New Years crew has disbanded.  Sean went back to South Korea.  Magda to Cambodia.  Matt to Koh Lanta and then to Malaysia.  Lloyd to the Similian Islands.  Purvi to the USA.  Pete got a job on Phi Phi and stayed behind.

Sean and I on New Years Eve

And me, I’m in Bangkok…..AGAIN.  I arrived to find that my backpack had been pilfered through while on the 12 hour bus ride up from the pier in Krabi.  I lost $15 US.  I guess that’s karma for you.  Well, at least the bugger didn’t manage to find my LARGER emergency stash of US cash.

Now I need to go find me a pair of flip-flops that fit.

My friends and I on our long-tail …
My friends and I on our long-tail…