A "Hell No" Situation

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

My introduction to Ayutthaya was when the bus driver pulled over to the side of the road and announced the stop at 5 in the morning.  I was ecstatic and honestly surprised to make it to Ayutthaya, mainly because the bus had threatened to break down several times on the 10 hour ride.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t lucky enough to get dropped off at some random gas station at the edge of town, as per usual.  No, this time it’s just the side of an empty road in the middle of the night.

Five of us pull ourselves out from our sardine cans (also known as chairs) and hop off the bus waiting for our backpacks to follow.  Four bags are brought out.  And then there’s me with my hands outstretched and a smile on my tired face, but no bag to be found!  Mine apparently didn’t get sorted out with the others and was lost somewhere in the giant pile of backpacks belonging to the rest of the people on the bus continuing to Bangkok.

The bus driver looks very surprised that I was getting off at this stop despite the fact that I said so when he picked me up and it clearly read Ayutthaya on the ticket I gave him.  But we’re beyond that now.  Now, he wants me to point out my bag.

Please keep in mind that ALL backpacks are black, especially when you’re trying to pick yours out of dozens in the carriage of a "VIP" bus with no lights!  When I tell him I can’t see my backpack the drivers says “you go to Bangkok and buy new ticket back to Ayutthaya!”.

This is what I like to call a HELL NO situation.  So I climbed into the carriage compartment of the bus, toss out some bags and then finally dig out my own.  I apologize to the owners of the backpacks that I threw, climbed over, squashed and stepped on…..but there was no way I was getting back on THAT bus.

arlene0725 says:
That is One Luggage story for the books!
Posted on: Jan 09, 2008
droonsta says:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAH the joys of travelling
Posted on: Dec 18, 2007