Escape From India

McLeod Ganj Travel Blog

There comes a time when you just need to be done with India.  At least, this is something that I needed.

So I went to McLeod Ganj, home to the Tibetan government in exile along with scores of Tibetans, Nepalis, and foreigner yogis looking to practice yoga galore.  I fit into none of these catagories.  I fit into the need-to-escape-the-perails-of-India-if-I'm-ever-going-to-remember-this-country-foundly catagory.  Or more simply, I fit into the need-to-escape-the-unbearable-heat-of-summer-in-India catagory.  Right, that sounds less cynical.

In any case, I wasn't the only one running away to the north to catch a breath of cool air.  I managed to run into several friends I've met along my journey through India and Nepal, all of us hiding from the heat in the foothills of McLeod Ganj.  It was in appropriate way to finish off my trip.  Sort of like coming around full circle.

With the many things to do and see here I managed to do very little so far.  As I wrote before, I'm done.  I just needed to find a nice place with good food and gorgeous mountain views to escape with a good book.  This is just the place.

McLeod Ganj