Day 14: Kagbeni

Kagbeni Travel Blog

Coming up to Kagbeni
I can’t even begin to describe Kagbeni.

We didn’t see the town until we almost arrived.  This was quite the surprise considering all we could see on the trail for the past hour was endless desert-like land.  We were walking dry, dusty, brown dirt terrain dotted with low-lying shrubs and not a building in sight.

We following the trail to the edge of the cliff and looked down.

Nestled in the center of where, not two, but THREE valleys met was the oasis town of Kagbeni.  Surrounded by brilliant green fields of buckwheat, the charming stone buildings topped with flapping Tibetan prayer flags resembled a forgotten Shangri-La hidden among the most impressive mountain ranges on earth.

It all sounds a bit grand I know but you had to be there.

Standing there overlooking the town below, Rod and I just started laughing.  It was that kind of laughter that happens when you’re so pleasantly surprised at your own good fortune that you can hardly believe it.

I had one of those moments where I thought to myself: where am I and how did I get here?

I could try to describe to you how enchanting it was to explore the town of Kagbeni and its neighbour across the river, Tiri, the southernmost Mustang settlement and the only one accessible to foreigners without the $700 USD permit.

I could try, but really, no words would suffice.

photo by: Stevie_Wes