AsiaIndiaJodhpur

Connie Play Holi

Jodhpur Travel Blog

Kids playing Holi on the street

After much contemplation, I decided to head back to Jodhpur for the Holi Festival.  My friends in Jaisalmer warned me that being in a crazy city like Varanasi, my original plan, could be overwhelming for a woman foreigner like myself.  Something about the men getting all high and drunk and then groping women on the pretense of simply applying coloured powder on everyone in the spirit on Holi, aka, the Festival of Colours.

The whole deal with this festival is everyone plays in the streets covering each other in powder of bright pinks, blue, greens, etc. etc….hence the popularity of this event.

Here is how my day went:

Got up.

Kids covered in Holi powder
  Changed into crappy clothes.  Headed down the alleyways with the kids of the family who ran my guesthouse along with my Kiwi friend Rod, and Tiffany who was also staying at Heaven Guesthouse.

Got pelted with handfuls of powder and water from kids with water guns.  Raced down several more alleyways avoiding larger gangs of teens armed with bags of powder roaming the streets on motorbikes.  We rounded a corner and got drenched in water from a bucket tipped from the roof of one of the buildings.

Got pelted with more colours.

Finally arrived at Heaven Guesthouse’s sister guesthouse, The Blue House.  Met up with more family members of the guesthouse owners and proceeded up to the roof of one of their buildings.  Got smothered by a smelly Indian man’s hand smearing fuchsia pink colouring all over my face.

Rod & I after playing Holi
  Spent the rest of the morning doing battle with a bunch of Indian kids and their parents.

Lost terribly.

When we finally finished up playing Holi with the kids, us foreigners figured it was time to head back to Heaven Guesthouse for a long shower and fresh change of clothes.  The walk back was surreal.  The old city of Jodhpur where we were staying is composed of lots of alleyways that seem like a giant maze of endless walls and random wandering cows.  But since it was Holi, all the shops were closed and the usual throngs of people were tucked inside their homes for the day.  The streets were covered in pools of water coloured pink or purple or bright yellow and there was still the occasional water balloon thrown at us from some of the rooftops.

It was like we were returning home from battle through a town made silent by the horrors of war.

My battle scars consist of pink stains on my arms and the bottoms of my feet.  I can’t freakin’ scrub hard enough with laundry grade soap!  I’m going to be fuchsia pink for days.

Playing Holi