Connie Was Here

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

The Buddha head at Wat Matathat

Back to that empty road in the middle of the night.  I mentioned in my last entry that I wasn’t the only one who got off that bus somewhere in Ayutthaya.  We all decided to cram ourselves into one cab and head to the same guesthouse hoping that it would soon be open.  Being the only girl, I was the one who had to sit on someone’s lap in order for all of us to fit in the cab.  That’s how I met Christian.

Christian was the German fellow I wandered around Ayutthaya with.  Yesterday, we rented some bicycles and basically rode around the entire old city visiting the gorgeous Khmer-style wats from the old kingdom.  Having once been the capital of Thailand, this city is jammed full of ancient, crumbling wats.

After two days, the places we visited of note were Wat Matathat with the Buddha head statue wrapped in tree roots, the busy Wat Phanan Choeng where we were lucky enough to watch the local Thais paying their weekly respects that Sunday, and Wat Chai Wattanaram, a large wat.

Wat Pranan Choeng

Today, however, I was on my own after wishing Christian happy travels.  I decided to walk to the last significant sites I hadn’t seen yet.  This escapade took up my entire afternoon.  Not because the sites were far away or because I got lost.  No.  It’s because it’s so BLOODY HOT in this town it takes FOREVER to walk anywhere!  But whatever, it’s good exercise right?  I swear I lost 5 pounds today.

After visiting Wat Phra Ram and Wihan Phra Monkong Bophit which houses the 17m bronze Buddah, I made a stop at Wat Phra Sri Sanphet with its stunning three chedis (also called stupas).  As I wrote before, these ancient wats are crumbling and in ruins.  There were piles of stone and brick all over.

So, as a true Canadian, I felt the need to build me an INUKSUK.

The inuksuk I built at Wat Phra Sri Sanphet

For all you non-Canadians out there, an inuksuk is a small bunch of rocks built in the shape of a man that the Inuit people used to leave behind as a milestone or marker to say that they had been there.  The Vancouver Winter Olympic Games uses an inuksuk as its emblem.

And for all you non-Canadians out there, the Inuit are the aboriginals who inhabit our vast northern country.  They are not called Eskimos and they are not called Indians.  Trust me.

Thus end-eth the lesson.

arlene0725 says:
Sawasdee ka. The next time I come to Thailand (3 yrs from now), I'm heading to Koh Chang and Ayutthaya.
Posted on: Jan 09, 2008
droonsta says:
seriously girl, we gota travel together again some time!!!!! arghhhh
Posted on: Dec 18, 2007
Wat Pranan Choeng
The inuksuk I built at Wat Phra Sr…
The inuksuk I built at Wat Phra S…
Wat Phra Sri Saphet