Clouds & Tea

Darjeeling Travel Blog

I was warned that it would be rainning a lot in Darjeeling.  But with the intense heat of the plains, I needed to be somewhere cool and simply bearable for existence.  But no one told me that Darjeeling sits in the clouds.

It was so misty and foggy that the place had an eerie feel to it when I first arrived.  It was days before I could see the rest of the town sprawled out over the hills from my guesthouse up ontop of the ridge.  From my guesthouse's restuarant, I could only see the tv antenna across the street, and even then it managed to disappear at times.

Another thing no one warned me about Darjeeling: if your stuff gets wet, it doesn't dry.  With all the clouds and mist, the city is in a constant state of moist.  I was unlucky enough to have my backpack on the roof of my share jeep on the long, windy ride up though the valley to Darjeeling.  It rained, and the tarp covering all the luggage up on the roof was apparantly just for show.  My backpack got drenched along with several of the items inside.  After airing my clothes out on a line strung up in my room, my clothes are now just damp as opposed to soaked, but it's been days now!  I'll be lucky if they manage to dry before I leave this town.

Still, I can't complain.  This town is so calm and peaceful tucked away in a valley covered in tea bushes.  I really just don't care anymore about my clothes.  The rain here is the perfect excuse to spend an afternoon at a tea shop reading a book or chatting with new friends about what local teas to sample next or which teas to buy for home.  Really, I'm just going to toss out some of those mucky, old clothes in order to make room for the tea I'll be bringing back home.  Now all I've got to do is figure out how to keep them dry for the long jeep ride back.

Darjeeling