AsiaIndiaPuri

A Birthday At Dog & Duck

Puri Travel Blog

The beach at Puri

First of all, THANK YOU to everyone out there who sent me happy birthday wishes!  Today is my birthday and many have asked me how I spent this special day.

So here it is:

I woke up on the lower sleeper bunk of a train heading for Puri.  I left Kolkata the night before having said goodbye to the very experienced traveler friends I’d met in the city.  It was only 5:30 in the morning but everyone was already up and about so I had no choice but to get up.

It was my first experience on an Indian train.  It was much more cramped than the sleepers in China but I was also staying in sleeper class, the lowest class for beds.  Next time I’ll try one class higher and see what that’s like.

At the Puri train station I was met by Pinto, the friend of the owner of the internet café I went to in Kolkata.

A girl sitting by the fishing boats
  I was very aware of how sketchy the situation could have been but Pinto turned out to be a really nice person.  He brought me to his guesthouse just off the traveler’s area of town.  It’s called Dog & Duck.  Yup…..DOG & DUCK HOTEL.  Nope, it’s not in Lonely Planet.

I met the dog, Jackie, but there is no duck.

Anyways, my room is large, clean, and it’s got a private bathroom so I’m happy with my new fancy digs!  Pinto asked me what I would pay for this room.  I tried to get him to tell me what it was worth but in the end I quoted him a price I read at some other hotel I read about in Lonely Planet.  I expected us to go into the usual song and dance negotiations but he just said okay.

It was so easy for me that I was shocked into silence.

Fishermen working at sunset

So even though I think I’m getting a great deal here, I’m thinking I probably could have gotten the room for even cheaper!

Moving on, I spent the rest of the morning chatting with my new neighbour and then exploring the town for an hour or so.  I wandered onto the beach and had a chance to watch some of the goings on with the local fishermen.

Then I took a nap.  A lovely, peaceful, birthday nap.

This afternoon I learned how to properly take a hit off a glass coke bottle turned bong with the help of the stalk of a plant.  Apparently the key is in the technique for holding the contraption.

The laziness of my birthday was indeed glorious.
Locals enjoying the beach
Locals enjoying the beach
The fishermen collecting the days…
The fishermen collecting the day'…
Puri