Bangkok Done Swank

Bangkok Travel Blog

One more whirl around Bangkok before heading home.  But this time, we did it with a bit more flash.

I met up with Rod in Bangkok and we decided to go all out.  Usually, as a backpacker I would try to get the cheapest place on Khao San in order to stretch that baht a little farther.  This time we thought we'd spluge seeing that it was the end of our trip and a little comfort was muchly deserved.

Villa Cha Cha was supremely wonderful.  When going from a 180 baht closet for a room to a 1800 baht swanky little suite, everything was impressive.  With the heat of summer, air-con and a mini fridge were divine luxuries.  Plus, with yummy room service and a tv, it was tough to find a reason to leave our comfortable room for the hot and humid street.  But leaving the room to do a little shopping was, of course, necessary.

That's right, we played rich holidaymakers for a few days.  Throwing out some very worn out and smelly backpacker clothes, I bought myself a new dress and shoes complete with matching purse and accesories.  Polished off with some new make-up and a proper haircut, I was ready to hit the town for my final night in Bangkok.

Freshly transformed into real people again, we hit up Vertigo, an impressive bar and restaurant on the top floor of a high end hotel in the center of Bangkok.  From the 61st floor we had 360 degree views of the city from the comfort of the ritzy open-air bar.

It puts everything into perspective: the ability to one day be scrimping money eating from street vendors while living out of a rucksack and then suddenly switching into high gear sipping drinks at a swanky roof-top bar in Bangkok in the company of international business men and rich vacationers.   All it took was a little money, less than what I would spend in a normal day living in Toronto.  No matter how broke I ever think I am, I'm still upper class for a lot of countries in this world.
Bangkok