Potatoes and cheese in Yangshuo

Yangshuo Travel Blog

The river in Yangshuo

We spent three days in the potato-and-cheese-heaven that is Yangshuo. Two of my favourite foods, which weren't available anywhere else we went in China, were available in abundance in Yangshuo, due to the presence of a large number of western tourists. I even ordered a side portion of mashed potato with my lasagna for one meal!

We arrived into Guilin on a short flight from Chengdu. We immediately headed into town, and found a small bus heading to Yangshuo. We agreed a price and got on. When the lady conductor tried to charge us extra for our bags, I grabbed the money back from her and moved to get off the bus: we didn't have to pay extra for our bags after that!

One village before Yangshuo a very "friendly" character calling himself Larry got onto the bus.

Biking around the countryside
It turned out (what a coincidence) that he owned a hotel in Yangshuo, and had lots of recommendations from guests in a little book. They all appeared very glowing, although we met an Israeli guy in Hokg Kong later on who told us that the ones in Hebrew were very telling - obviously Larry doesn't know anyone who can vet the Hebrew ones for inclusion in his little book. This guy turned out to be one of the dodgiest hotel owners I've met; he made us get off the bus on the outskirts of Yangshuo, to go and look at his hotel, but insisted that we were in the centre of town (in spite of the fact that nothing matched with the map in the Lonely Planet). What he indicated to us in the distance as being the end of town was actually around where the town started to get interesting. Luckily we walked away from his hotel (which looked very nice inside, and was very cheap, and was also located next to lots of "hairdressers'"), and headed into the real centre of Yangshuo.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn!

Yangshuo is very much a traveller hangout, with loads of shops and cafes, but we really enjoyed it after a fairly hectic couple of weeks travelling down China. One day we hired bikes and headed out into the countryside, but I was having another bout of being ill (left over from Mongolia), plus we'd just started taking our malaria medication for India in a week's time, so I didn't have much energy to go too far.

The scenery around Yangshuo is very strange and beautiful, consisting of many tall limestone pinnacles. The town itself nestles between many of these, so that some of them seem to be almost up against the backs of buildings on the main street.

We stayed in a clean and cheap hotel called the Holiday Inn (not affiliated to the international chain; just borrowing the name), on the main street. We booked a bus ticket to Shenzhen through them, for which I suspect we paid over the odds, but otherwise the hotel was good.

The main street in Yangshuo